Tonight I was thinking about "possessions". I have a whole houseful of stuff that I would absolutely hate to lose, but there are a few things that I would be devastated over if I lost them.
Of course, like most, photos rank right at the top of my list. My boys' baby books and the pregnancy journals I kept for them are pretty precious. The china my Grandma gave me is so special, as is the sandwich glass my mom started collecting for me when I was far too young to appreciate dishes. My Dad wrote a "Memories to my Grandchildren" book that is amazing. I'm trying to figure out right now how to shove all of those things in my husband's fireproof gun case. Ha.
But I want to show you another thing that I hold very near to my heart.

This is a bracelet my mom gave me the morning after Slade and I got married. My Grandpa actually welded this bracelet for my Grandma back in the late 1930s or so when they were both working in the naval shipyards in Washington. It's just a true symbol of young love. But more than that, I love that it is my living proof that my Grandpa was a very talented man. My Dad often says you could give my Grandpa (his father-in-law) a piece of baling twine and a pair of pliers and he could fix or build anything. Granted, this bracelet isn't twine, but I'll bet he used a pair of pliers or two to get it just the way he wanted it. :)
2 comments:
okay, so this is the most simple, beautiful thing I've ever seen and I can't stop the tears! I didn't know he was so talented!
Isn't it amazing the things we hold dear...I sometimes wish our whole house was fireproof, or at least a room big enough to keep all "that stuff that can't be replaced" in.
That is really beautiful, as is the story behind it. What a memory to treasure!
Post a Comment