Monday, October 8, 2007

The Things Having Babies Does To A Person

You know, carrying two babies and pushing them out sure doesn't do much good to a person's body. I know I don't need to tell this to people who've been there, done that...but JEEZ. There's always the saddle bags that don't go away, the stretch marks (aka battle scars) that plaque a person forever, not to mention the extra 12 pounds that hang around for eternity.

But before babies - there were a few things that no one told me.

I didn't know my eyes would change every time I got pregnant, delivered a baby, or breastfed a newborn. It drives me crazy - I think I should just sign my paychecks over to the eye doctor. Consequently, I haven't been to the eye doctor lately and I'm walking around half blind - and taking ibuprofen every day just to battle those nagging vision headaches. (I know, I know, my next appointment is October 23rd - and I can't wait.) I've been wearing the same pair of 30-day soft lenses for 14 months. Won't it be fun to tell them that?!?

No one told me that I'd never again be able to jump on a trampoline or sneeze without wetting my pants. I thought it was limited to that...but it's not. This last weekend, I was out working cattle with my Dad and brother. Once we got the cattle where we wanted, we decided to ride on down the creek to take a look at the camera my brother mounted to take pictures of deer and other wildlife that wanders through. We hobbled our horses and meandered into the trees, winding up and down through thick brush. We came to a narrow part of the creek where we needed to leap across. My brother did it with ease - damn him and his "I still look and feel 16" 25-year-old body. My Dad hesitated, then said "I'm not sure" as he jumped across. Then came my turn. I made it with ease - but I peed my pants in the process. I said as I landed "Oops, I just peed a little." I thought my Dad was going to pee a little just laughing at me.

I had no idea that even though I frequently pick my 5-year-old up and tease him by cradling him like a baby and I tote my 2-year-old around all over the place, that my upper body strength would be shot enough that I almost need help getting on my horse!

I didn't know that my feet would ache every single morning as if I were 9 months pregnant. Despite begging for a foot rub each day, I rarely get one. One more reason I am so excited for my Mom to get her pedicure room up and running.

Who knew that I would feel morning sickness about 3 times a month - just because. Yuck.

All of this - and no, I'm NOT pregnant. I'm just a Mom. Guess it's a price a person pays. Cheap? No. Worth it? Most days.

No comments: